An air conditioner tune-up is a form of regular maintenance on your air conditioning unit that should be completed once a year, usually in the spring or early summer. Not all maintenance appointments are the offer the same benefits. A proper air conditioner tune-up includes:
- Checking pressures of the refrigerant on the system making sure the subcool/super heat is where they need to be
- If the pressures are off, diagnosing the cause of the irregularity and proposing a solution
- Full condenser coil cleaning to increase efficiency
- Thermostat calibration/programming
- Inspection of electric connections
- Coolant level check
- Fan blade inspection
- Inspection for pitted or burned contacts
- Air filter cleaning or change
- Assessment of service valves
- Making sure the A/C is prepared for the dog days of Summer
Other procedures may be part of your AC tune up as well, but for the most part, these are the essential components of a quality yearly maintenance appointment.
Why Do I Need an Air Conditioner Tune Up?
At Baumann & DeGroot, we often get asked, “Do I have to have an air conditioner tune up?” In fact, many people see it as a useless procedure that just costs them extra money.
However, the entire goal of consistent air conditioner tune ups is to save you money. These regular appointments with your HVAC specialist are essential to ensure your AC unit is running smoothly and keeping you and your family cool and comfortable.
The major benefits of AC tune ups:
- Getting ahead of potential failures before they become an outage at in-opportune times
- Energy savings: AC units that need maintenance have to work much harder to keep your space cool.
- A longer life for your unit: Regular maintenance can catch problems early so that only minor repairs are needed instead of a full replacement.
- Better performance: You’ll get cooler faster and have less problems with lackluster performance.
- Warranty compliance: Many warranties require you to have regular AC tune ups.
How Often Do I Need a Tune Up on My Air Conditioner?
Your air conditioner should be inspected at least once per year by a licensed and experienced HVAC specialist. This maintenance is essential for ensuring that your AC unit is clean and running smoothly. Problems left unchecked may end up turning into more serious issues that will necessitate costly replacement. Furthermore, clean units run more efficiently.
When Should I Get My Air Conditioner Tuned Up?
The best time to get a tune up on your air conditioner is in the spring or early summer. This gives your HVAC specialist crew adequate time to service your unit and prepare it for use in the summer.
Keep in mind that the summer is (naturally) the busiest time for air conditioner service calls. So if you wait until summer to have a tune up, you may be put on a waiting list and be without air for a considerable amount of time.
How to Get an Air Conditioner Tune Up
Baumann & DeGroot provides air conditioner tune ups and other HVAC services to residents in Holland and the greater West Michigan area. For more than 20 years, we’ve been helping our customers stay cool and comfortable in the summer, and warm and cozy in the winter. Contact us today to schedule your air conditioner tune up!
Baumann & Degroot was founded in 1994 in West Michigan.
The post What Is an Air Conditioner Tune Up? appeared first on Baumann & DeGroot Heating & Cooling.